To remove barriers that prevent nurses from leading, changing and advancing health care, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), and the Institute of Medicine (IOM) launched an initiative in 2008 that would transform the nursing profession. In 2010, the appointed RWJF Committee on the Future of Nursing, made the recommendation at the IOM, that nurses practice to the full extent of their education and training; not for the purpose of saving money, but to be a part of the transformation of a seamless, quality healthcare delivery system that improves health outcomes (The future of nursing: the Institute of Medicine (IOM) issues report, 2010; Russell-Babin, Wurmser, 2016). The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) (2011 - 2014) reported that in the United States, more than one-third of adults and 17% of children between the ages of two and nineteen are obese (Ogden, Carroll, Kit, & Flegal, 2014). These epidemic numbers are of great concern worldwide when the long-term effects of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, and cancer will have the potential to overwhelm healthcare systems (Bergman, Stefanovski, Buchanan, Sumner, Reynolds, Sebring, Xiang, & Watanabe, 2011). The Nurse Practitioner will transform healthcare and the effects of co-morbidities, such as obesity on the nation’s population (RussellBabin, Wurmser, 2016).
2. American Association of Nurse Practitioners (2017). Position statements and papers: Nurse Practitioner in Primary Care. https:// www.aanp.org/.
3. Bergman, R., Stefanovski, D., Buchanan, T., Sumner, A., Reynolds, J., Sebring, N., Xiang, A., Watanabe, R. (2011). A better index of body adiposity. Obesity, 19(5), 1083-1089.
4. CDC (2015). Adult obesity and causes & consequences. http://www.cdc.gov/ obesity/adult/causes.html
5. Choquet, H., Meyre, D. (2011). Genetics of obesity: What have we learned? Current Genomics, 12(3): 169-179.
6. Cole, T. (2004). Children grow and horses race: is adiposity rebound a critical period for later obesity? Bio Med Central Pediatrics, 4:6.
7. Conway, J., Yanovski, S., Avila, N., Hubbard, V. (1995). Visceral adipose tissue, differences in black and white women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 61:765-771.
8. Cypess, A., Lehman, S., Williams, G., Tal, I.,Rodman, D., Goldfine, A., Kuo, F., Palmer, E., Tseng, Y., Doria, A., Kolodny, G., Kahn, C. (2009). Identification and importance of brown adipose tissue in adult humans. The New England journal of Medicine, 360(15), 1509-1517.
9. Dunn, A.M. (2002). Culture competence and the primary care provider. Journal of Pediatrics Health Care. 16(3), 105-111.
10. Eliminowski, N. (2015). Developing and implementing a cultural awareness workshop for nurse practitioners. Journal of Cultural Diversity, Vol.22, No.3.
11. Faienza, M.F., Wang, D. Q. H., Fruhbeck, G., Garruti, G., and Portincasa, P. (2016). The dangerous link between childhood and adulthood predictors of obesity and metabolic syndrome. Internal Emergency Medicine, 11:175- 182, DOI 10.1007/s11739-015-1382-6.
12. Go, A., Mozaffarian, D., Roger, V., Benjamin, E., Berry, J., Borden, W., & Turner, M. (2013). Heart disease and stroke statistics-2013 update: A report from the American Heart Association. Circulation, 127, e62-e245.
13. Gower, B. A., Nagy, T. R., Trowbridge, C. A., Dezenberg, C., & Goran, M. I. (1998). Fat distribution and insulin response in prepubertal African American and white children. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 67(5), 821-827.
14. Hager, E., McGill, A., Black, M. (2010). Development and validation of a toddler silhouette scale. Obesity Journal, 18(2), 397 – 401. 15. Hessler, K. (2015). Self-efficacy and knowledge of nurse practitioners to prevent pediatric obesity. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, Vol.11, Issue 4, April 2015.
16. Hutt, J., Newhouse, R., White, K., Johantgen, M.,Bass, E., Zangaro, G., Wilson, R., Fountain, L., Steinwachs, D., Heindel, L., and Weiner, J. (2013). The quality and effectiveness of care provided by Nurse Practitioners. The Journal of Nurse Practitioners, 9(8), 492-500.
17. Kao, Y.S. (2015). Nephrology Advanced Practice registered Nurse Health policy: Where are we? What is our future? Nephrology Nursing Journal, 42(3), 289-293.
18. Knittle, J., Timmers, K., GinsbergFellner, F., Brown, R., Katz, D. (1979). The growth of adipose tissue in children and adolescents. Journal Clinical Investigation, 63, 239-246.
19. Lambert, L., & Housdan, L. (2017). Nurse Practitioner engagement in research. Canadian Oncology Nursing Journal, 27(1), 107-110.
20. Langer, M. (2002). Culturally competent professionals. Medical Care, 40, 22 - 26.
21. Leninger, M. (2008). Overview of Leninger’s theory of culture care diversity and universality. Retrieved from http://www.madelieine-leninger.com.
22. Mackenbach, J. D., Rutter, H., Compernolle, S., Glonti, K., Oppert, J. M., Charreire, H., & Lakerveld, J. (2014). Obesogenic environments: a systematic review of the association between the physical environment and adult weight status, the SPOTLIGHT project. BMC Public Health, 14(1), 1.
23. Ogden, C., Carroll, M., Kit, B., Flegal, K., (2014). Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011 – 2012. Journal of American Medicine Association, 311(8):806- 814. doi:10.1001/jama.2014.732.
24. Olshansky, S., Passaro, D., Hershow, R., Layden, J., Carnes, B., Brody, J., Hayflick, L., Butler, R., Allison, D., Ludwig, D. (2005). A potential decline in life expectancy in the United States in the 21st Century. The New England Journal of Medicine, 352(11), 1138 -1145.
25. Plourde, G. (2006). Preventing and managing pediatric obesity. Canada Family Physician; 52:322-328.
26. Purnell, L. (2002). The Purnell model for cultural competence. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 13(7), 193-196.
27. Russell-Babin, K., Wurmser, T. (2016). Transforming care through top-oflicense practice. Nursing Management, 47(5), 24-28.
28. Sangster-Gormley, E. (2017). Prescribing patterns of nurse practitioners in Canada. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 188 (3), 173-174. https://doi.org/10.1503/ cmaj.150913
29. Stanik-Hutt, J., Newhouse, R.P., White, K.M., Johantgan, M., Bass, E.B., Zangaro, G., & Weienr, J.P. (2013). The quality and effectiveness of care provide by Nurse Practitioner. Journal for Nurse Practitioner, 9(8), 492-500. Doi:10.1016/j.nurpra.2013.07.04
30. Sullivan, D. (2014). Obesity prevention starts prenatally. International Journal Childbirth Education, 29(2);12-15.
31. Swinburn, B., Egger, G. (2002). Preventative strategies against weight gain and obesity. Obesity Review, 2002; 289-301.
32. Swinburn, B., Egger, G., Raza, F. (1999). Dissecting obesogenic environments: the development and application of a framework for identifying and prioritizing environmental interventions for obesity. PrevMED, 1999;29:563-70.
33. The future of nursing: the Institute of Medicine (IOM) issues report. The future of nursing: leading change, advancing health (2010). Prairie Rose, 79(4), 6
34. Toro-Ramos, T., Paley, C., Pi-Sunyer, F., Gallagher, D. (2015). Body composition during fetal development and infancy through the age of 5 years. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 69, 1279-1289.